Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Ministry Update

In May of last year Chrissy and I felt that God was leading us to Metro Church in Birmingham. Much of this leading was due to the opportunity for me to creatively make a difference in Metro's Children's ministry. As many of you know, I enjoy change. Change for me is a doorway of opportunity for using creativity.
For Metro, change was immediate in my arrival. From the first day on the job I began to contemplate the change that God desired for me to do. I knew that I had to do something with the white walls and something also had to be done to the worship room. There were many other things that needed to be done but these two items stood out most.
The biggest project ahead was the total overhaul of the kid's worship room. The stage had to been completely disassembled and relocated. The lighting, carpet and air vents had to be torn out. Creating Metro's "Big Adventure" (this is the name of the new children's ministry) was one of the biggest projects that I have ever taken on. Now, 5 months after completion, I look back at how God guided me through this project.
This is our new welcome area and lobby. The colorful beach images create a nice oasis in the mist of a often crazy children's ministry.

Our "Big Adventure" worship room gives children a feeling of being on a Caribbean island. The set includes a tiki hut, "Big D's Surf Shack, and a crashed airplane (with moving propeller).
The story line of the set resembles something like the hit tv show "Lost".



The kids favorite part of the set.... the airplane.

2 comments:

Noah's mommy said...

As always, your creative mind was put to amazing use! This looks incredible and I know that they are blessed to have you. Ella is adorable on her egg hunt...she just gets prettier all the time!

Bethany said...

What a wonderful job you've done! God has once again really used you to touch children! You, Chrissy, and Ella look amazing, as always. Chrissy, you are such a beautiful pregnant lady - you should have 3 more!!! You guys will love having two. It's a true blessing to watch your oldest with your youngest. Olivia is the best big sister a boy could have...and Zachary would tell you that himself if he could! I'm so glad you all are doing so well, and we'll be praying for everyone as the due day draws nearer.